Wednesday, June 27, 2012

When a Supervisor Fails to Meet Your Needs

I know this is hard to believe, but not everyone has an amazing boss and even amazing bosses are flawed in some way.  When supervisors do not match our expectations for the role they have assumed it is easy to be dismissive and self righteous about their short comings.  This only increases when these individuals seem disengaged, ineffective, or even incompetent.  There is nothing worse that working for a horrible boss.  No amount of money is enough to make it worth it and when you have had a horrible boss you are willing to do and take less if it means you will be treated with care, dignity, purpose, and respect.  If you have a horrible boss, get out and get out as fast as you can.

Most people I know do not work for a horrible boss, but they do work for a good person who is not great at managing people.  It is easy to see how this happens.  Early in the career of new employees, employers often put a great deal of time into orienting, training, and supervising those coming into their organization.  As people start to be promoted or are hired for mid and high level positions, the assumption is that they have many things figured out and the top of that list is supervision.  Unfortunately, this is often not the case.

Your ability obtain a position of higher status does not mean that you "get" every aspect of that position.  New managers will be trained on computer software and systems, introduced to organizational policies, and given a manual, but supervision and management training is often assumed to be unneeded.  As a result, people are often performing high level positions with low level competence and training around the managing of staff.  While some management lessons are certain to be learned on the fly by experience, it is just as easy for managers to fall into a trap of assuming their ineffective ways must be working or else they would not have their position.

One of the most common frustrations I have seen are bosses who do not know or understand what their employee's do.  The only time the employee is noticed is when something surprises the manager or goes wrong.  The self righteous response to this situation would be to say it is the bosses job to know what their employees are doing and if they do not, that is on them.  That is factually correct, but unfortunately being right does not get people anywhere.  The better response would be to tell your boss what you are doing as often as you can, even if they do not ask.  Find ways to make sure your work, especially your best work, comes up in conversation and is made aware to your supervisor.  Supervisors who do not notice your work are usually equally bad at sharing your worth with others in the organization.  This is another function you can take into your own hands.  Learning to authentically tell your story at opportune moments is critical to developing a professional reputation.  Most of us have some job responsibilities that will not speak for themselves even if we do them exceptionally well, and without a supervisor to notice and promote your success, you must take this task on yourself.

Defiant self righteousness is a pretty common response to a boss who is not meeting our expectations.  Those feelings are usually justified by countless examples of supervisors falling short.  Unfortunately, this moral superiority does not actually make you feel better or help your situation.  You have every right to be frustrated by this type of situation and to consider it unfair, but sitting in that place will only punish you and possibility hurt your standing further.  Employees whose work goes unnoticed and are perceived unhappy are not generally considered assets to their organization, even when that unhappiness is justified and the work being done is exceptional. 

The broader lesson here is that when you have a need that is going unmet by your supervisor you should take on the responsibility of meeting that need yourself by finding alternative ways to get it fulfilled.  You will probably still feel as though you deserve more from your supervisor, but at least you will be getting closer to what you need and help yourself be more successful.

3 comments:

  1. Grant, you make many interesting points here. I, too, have had my share of less than satisfactory supervisors. My question is from the supervisor's perspective. I've received feedback that one of my employees feels like I do not give enough recognition and that sometimes she perceives that by my actions, I take credit for the work of others. I actually disagree with this, and feel that I openly give public recognition of her great work quite often. But it could be a Johari's window kind of thing. So my question is, how should I respond? (or not)? Is this just a disgruntled employee looking to place blame for her own discontent on her supervisor? Looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I think this is a tough situation because the narrative of you taking credit for this person's work has been established in their head and that can be a difficult hurdle to overcome. You would have to reflect on whether or not it is true and if there are any examples that could be helpful. I am sure we have all been on both sides of that situation, falsely taken or been given credit we did not fully deserve and had other people claim part or all of the credit that should have come our way. If it were me (which it has been before on this very issue), I would be honest and say that I do not think I have ever done that on purpose, but that it is possible that I have unknowingly made this mistake and if I did I am sorry. Regardless of what you have or have not done, this person feels it has happened and that is real for them. The best you can offer this person is to be more aware of it going forward and to ask for examples if it happens again in the future. I think you can also encourage this employee to claim their own credit when appropriate (it is a good long term skill to develop). I could probably write 1000 words on what I think and would do, but I will leave it at this for now. I would be happy to connect offline if I could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good feedback, and I would welcome the opportunity to connect offline (now that you know my identity :) ). I think your advice about honestly saying "I would like to apologize if I ever knowingly or unknowingly took credit for your work" is a good approach to begin with. Let's find a time to chat.

    ReplyDelete