Saturday, June 2, 2012

I have always wanted a tattoo and will probably never get one

I am often jealous of people with tattoos.  The personal expression, the wonderful art, and sense of defining yourself on your own terms.  I will never get one.  I want to, I have thought about it often over the last decade, but it will never happen.  Here is my problem...I am constantly changing and evolving as a person.  Okay, that is not a problem in general, but it is a problem when it comes to getting a tattoo.  Body art is permanent (or at a minimum costly and painful to remove) and art that is a reflection of me today almost certainly will not be a refection of who I will be in a week, month, or year.  The only constant I am 100% certain will stand the test of time and last my entire life is my love for my children.  That said, how I would want to express and represent that love will evolve with every other part of me and at some point become outdated.  Having the historical evidence of my evolution displayed permanently on my body does not appeal to me.  I am not proud of all previous points in my evolution and having my body as a reminder to me and others does not seem worth it.  This does not mean I judge others with tattoos, in fact, I am frequently jealous of them.  I am just worried that my feelings of jealousy might not last.


A great video about regretting a tattoo.  Also a great message about how regret is a healthy element of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment