Monday, June 11, 2012

The False Romance of History

The other day I witnessed the occasional occurrence of overhearing an older white man say to someone else how much better this country was in the past.  At this point it does not even phase me anymore.  I have heard it said in person or referenced in politics far too often in my adult life for it to frustrate me the way it use to.  Sadly, his statement is not true for so many people.  I will grant you that many straight, white, Christian (protestant), able bodied, middle/upper class, men probably did have it better in the past than they do today.  Less competition for jobs and resources, a simpler sense of the way the world worked and where they stood on top of the national food chain, and the ability to see built advantages in the system as a normal experience for people like them.  I just wish this man and others who have said similar things would be clear and note that the days of yesteryear were amazing for him and many people like him, but for most other people the past was not a better or easier time.  It strikes me that he and so many others might not know the stains of the history of violence against women and peoples of color, widespread antisemitism, and the exploitation of immigrants of all races (just to name a few of the many groups of people targeted throughout this country's history).  No one makes this case better or more funny than Louis CK (below).

No comments:

Post a Comment